Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Highcroft Hospital 2002

Snows on the roof
On the ribs of history
And from the wood
Of your beams
I remade our memory.

It was a sad thing to watch the old Highcroft Mental Hospital go into disrepair and then finally become developed for mainly middle class housing ..

As I watched in these years of its change I knew the Hospital itself had never been the problem for some of us , the grounds had been truly asylum like , but the main problem was a lack of deep human understanding and empathic therapeutic treatment into the human story that had seen a lot of us end up in this place . Passing the ex-workhouse hulk frequently in these years from 2001 - 2005 I saw ghosts and memories everywhere .. Young people who had been in Ward Faith 3 with me in the 1970's - a number of them dead through suicide or early death ...Joanne , Alec , John and others .....Gone.

.

No comments: